S
E
B
A
R
Slow Boat to China
September 29th, 2009 by Kate

We’re on it – the slow boat to China.  No, really – 48 hours from Osaka to Shanghai.

Thank GOD it is way nicer than I thought it would be.  When I told my family we were taking the boat they all laughed and made jokes about my sea sickness issues.  I was far less worried about being sea sick than I was about the boat being growdy.

But it’s great!  We have a nice cabin that sleeps four (with decent sheets!) and even has a Japanese-style sitting room and a big window.  The food is really good, the seas have been calm-ish, there are few kids on board to pal around with, and there is ping-pong!  Phoebe has become quite the little ping pong player in the last 36 hours and tonight the ship’s crew was lined up to play her.  She is quite the little celebrity on board.

I am writing this late in the evening and we are in the middle of the Sea of Japan, literally in the middle of it. There is a string of lights out my cabin window in the distance.  Fishing boats feeding Japan’s appetite insatiable appetite.  They look like the pretty hanging lanterns I saw the other night at the shrine in Kyoto.  I’ll watch them as I drift off to sleep…

(Note: I wrote this while we were on the boat, but didn’t have internet access so I couldn’t post it.  When we arrived in China the girls got to the computer and posted about the Chinese traffic before I posted my “boat” post – hence the reason they are out of order!)

7 Responses
grandma eb writes:
September 29th, 2009 at 9:15 am

Seriously, we must get in touch with Opra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Loving IT! and you all.

grandma eb writes:
September 29th, 2009 at 9:16 am

Oprah….you kwew who I meant.

grandma eb writes:
September 29th, 2009 at 9:18 am

knew…where’s the spellcheck on this thing?

lily writes:
September 30th, 2009 at 12:48 pm

hi. we met at the station before you guys headed off to hiroshima for the day :) we just got back to the states from japan! your blog is awesome! good to hear that the boat ride was a good experience after all.

Auntie Krissy writes:
September 30th, 2009 at 5:56 pm

OMG Mom, I was thinking the exact same thing, let’s totally contact her producers!!!! I’ll look into it in my spare time! Because I have so much these days!

Auntie Krissy writes:
September 30th, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Jack just got the bottle caps from Canada tonight, he was THRILLED! He made a really funny comment about Jeff drinking all these beers, but I cannot remember exactly what he said. I’ll ask him in the morning when he wakes.

Kelly Balthazor writes:
October 2nd, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Had a great time reading about all your adventures! I still think you are one of the bravest families I know. I felt icky walking across a muddy soccer field tonight and after reading your stuff, I feel like a wimp. You guys are amazing!